Derniers articles :
Dernières vidéos :
Pages: [1]
[Interview] Roger Hector (STI)
« le: Août 31, 2005, 10:50:38 am »
  • Chaos Control Ruler
  • Hors ligne Hors ligne
Interview menée par HXC, via e-mail, avec l'aide des membres de SWS2B.

Citation
Q: What games did you work on while at Sega Technical Institute?

A: Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic Spinball, Comix Zone, The Ooze, DieHard (coin op), and several corporate joint venture projects with various Hollywood and Silicon Valley companies.

Q: Which of those was your favorite project?

A: Sonic 3 (also called Sonic & Knuckles) was a lot of fun, but it was also very difficult. Michael Jackson was originally brought in to compose all the music for the game, but at the very end, his work was dropped after his scandals became public. This caused a lot of problems and required a lot of reworking. But the game turned out great in the end.

Q: As director, what was your job and day normaly like?

A: I was responsible for all the teams and all the projects. I oversaw every detail of production and kept the teams organized, creative, and productive. Sometimes I'd spend all day solving problems, and sometimes I'd play the games and work with the teams.

Q: Did Sega of Japan keep a close eye on STI, and the sonic games inparticular, or were you working alone?

A: We were seperate from the rest of the company (which was great!). We had a lot of autonomy. Sega of Japan was always very interested in what was going on because Sega counted so much on Sonic. It was the most important game produced by the company at that time. But we were given the opportunity to do what we wanted, and were generally left alone.

Q: Can you tell us anything about Sonic Xtreme, as in, if it wasoriginaly planned for the Mega Drive, the 32x ect.?

A: Sonic Xtreme was started during a time when a lot of changes were going on at Sega. But I left Sega during its production, and it went through a lot of changes afterward... along with the rest of the company.
(note, the next few questions will be on the subject of Sonic Xtreme, so if you don't know the answers, it is perfectly fine, we don't have a clue either!)

Q: From the few screenshots and movies we have of the game, we know there was a "fisheye" camera, what was the reason for this?

A: Dont know. This must have been after I left.

Q: How did it feel when it was finaly canceled, also, was it SoJ who pulled the plug in the end?

A: It was canceled after I left. SOJ was going through a lot of executive changes there too, and the new people at SOJ pulled the plug on many projects and people in America. The situation was bad at SOJ, and they turned STI and SOA upside down. It was kind of a mess, and I had had enough. The old chemistry was gone, and it became very hard to be creative and do good work.

Now for a few user submitted questions.

"Also, what is the process of SEGA creating a Sonic game? Like, from the initial ideas to the launch, and everything in between"

The core Sonic team consisted of Yugi Naka, and Yasuhara. They were responsible for keeping Sonic at the cutting edge. I helped build a team around them that included many other level designers, artists, and programmers. Once Naka & Yasuhara agreed on a general design approach, they drew up a schedule and started working. It took a full year to create many of the Sonic games, and it took many people working together (a dozen or more). Once we were happy with the game, it went to SOA for bug testing. After it was debugged, I signed it off for production. Then everyone took a little vacation and waited to see it launched into the marketplace. This was a lot of fun as there was always a lot of promotion and publicity events that we attended, and it was fun to watch people react to the game. After this, we all started to think about the next Sonic game....

"What are you recollections of working at STI?"
It was a lot of fun working there, as we had a very top notch creative and technical group. We also were left alone by the rest of the company, so we could be creative and not bothered too much by company politics etc. I enjoyed it a lot, except at the very end. At that time, the company became very political and practically everyone in the SOA management was fired or quit. I was outside of SOA, but I was asked to take over some development aspects of SOA..and this was a mess. Overall, Sega was a great place to work before this, and I am very fond of my memories there.
"Did you know anything of Knuckles Chaotix?, or more importantly, the prototype called Sonic Crackers?"
I didn't have anything to do with these. I recall they were done somewhere else in Sega.
"How many zones were there in Sonic Xtreme? We only know of 4"
Sorry, I don't know as I left before it was done.

A bit of a strange one here...

"Have you got contacts for Howard Drossin?"

I haven't spoken with Howard for a while, but we are still good friends. He was last living in Los Angeles when we last talked (but I don't have his current contact information). He is an excellent composer and did some wonderful music while at STI.

"How much work were you involved in, for say Sonic 3? "

I contributed in the initial creative brainstorm meetings, but Naka was in charge of selecting the ideas to develop. I was primarily involved with helping and supporting the team by getting them whatever they needed to get it done. I also worked with everyone outside of STI to get them the information they needed to market the game. Whenever a big problem came up (like the whole Michael Jackson thing), I had to help find a solution and keep things on track. I also helped with creating the marketing and promotion programs to launch the game, and oversee getting it through QA and into production.

Heres a little dedication someone told me to put in ;D

"tell him Sonic Spinball has been one of my favorite games since I was a child, and the anticipation of Sonic X-Treme has shaped me not only as a gamer, but literally as a person as well. The work that STI did on the Sonic series in the mid-90's was, in my eyes, the utmost pinnacle of quality gaming that I've experienced in my 21 years."

Thank you so much! I really appreciate hearing this. It was a lot of work, but as I've said before, it was also a lot of fun. I'm so glad you also enjoyed it.
Sonic Spinal was inspired by the "Las Vegas" level of Sonic 2, but was done by a different team at STI. It was pushed into the big "Christmas release" slot when Sonic & Knuckels got delayed, but we all had a good time with it. I'm glad you also did.

And finaly... What do you have left over from the time at STI? As in materials or even prototypes. And are you willing to donate or copy any of them to the Sega Community? We are always itching for new things!

I have stashed away a small box of Sega memorabilia, but I'm not sure what's in it now. I'm also not sure where it is (I've recently moved and these things are still boxed up somewhere). When I get to find it, I'll be happy to send you something...but no promises on exactly when this will be. Feel free to check back with me sometime.

Take care.
Roger Hector
Journalisée

Re: [Interview] Roger Hector (STI)
« Répondre #1 le: Août 31, 2005, 12:18:11 pm »
  • Chaos Control Ruler
  • Administrateur
  • Hors ligne Hors ligne
Citation de: "Roger Hector"
Sonic 3 (also called Sonic & Knuckles) was a lot of fun, but it was also very difficult. Michael Jackson was originally brought in to compose all the music for the game, but at the very end, his work was dropped after his scandals became public. This caused a lot of problems and required a lot of reworking. But the game turned out great in the end.

Bwarfz0rmegalol XD
Journalisée

Part. 2
« Répondre #2 le: Septembre 20, 2005, 08:21:43 am »
  • Chaos Control Ruler
  • Hors ligne Hors ligne
No matter what guy we have turned to, including music team Milpo,
Jun Senoue, and Bobby Brooks, they won't answer anything from Sonic 3
yet today over 10 years after the release, so what's the secret? And
why are you willing to answer questions about Sonic 3 when no other
guy is able to?

I'm not sure who these people are that you refer to, but they were not on the core Sonic team. So I am sure they dont know as much about Sonic 3 development. I have simply answered your questions because you asked them.

Please ask him about everything he remembers about the making of
Sonic 3, I believe it would make for a quite interesting article.
Also, ask him if he knows of anybody who might keep any kind of
development stuff from the original Sonic 3 (concept art, music,
prototype builds, whatever).

It has been a while since Sonic 3 was developed, but I remember it was a very satisfying project because we worked so hard and it paid off. It was pressure packed because the success of Sonic 2 had to be topped with a better game in Sonic 3. That put a lot of pressure on leads Yuji Naka and Yasuhara. To come up with better more interesting challenges, characters, puzzles, animations, worlds, etc. etc., but everyone pitched in.

There was also a lot of pressure from the company to make sure it was completed on time for a Christmas release. But most of the pressure came from the team itself as they truly wanted the game to be great, and they all worked very hard to make it so. Ultimately it all came together, we made our ship dates, and the game was a hit. So in that regard our collective hard work paid off. That's why it was satisfying.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was originally one game that was later split
into two parts (Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles). Sonic & Knuckles
introduced a number of elements that were not found in Sonic 3, such
as the Super Emeralds, and the Lava Reef and Death Egg stages. Were
these elements always intended to be included in the full Sonic 3
game?

The original Sonic 3 game was very aggressive in its scope. Massive really. So after getting started working on it, it was decided to split it in half, and spread the design across two games. This was good as there was no way all of it would fit in one game. The second game was developed later and the things you mention were introduced to add new, previously unseen game elements. I don't remember if they were originally in the larger game plan from the beginning as new things were added all the time.

he design of the character Knuckles is a great source of fascination
for Sonic fans. According to SoJ, the final Knuckles design was chosen
from 10 possible designs. Could you tell us more about the rejected
designs? Were the rejected designs re-used for any other Sonic games?"
Also, there was a supposed Nike sponcership? Is this true?

There were dozens and dozens of character designs created. All kinds of creatures. Some based on animals, or collections of animal parts. Some were completely made up and didn't resemble anything you've ever seen. The artists had a great time with this and it was very creative. I don't remember specifically if rejected designs became other creatures in the game, but it is very possible.
I also don't remember anything about a Nike deal.

Both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles contain a hidden yellow 8th
Chaos/Super Emerald. Was there, if you can remember any significance
behind this?

Only that the designers wanted to hide a lot of things to discover. Thats the fun part of the game anyway.

Was Yuji Naka responisble for all the programming of Sonic 3? A lot
of techniques were improved and added that were never even possible in
Sonic 2, which kinda makes the question: Did Naka get help just to
finish Sonic 3 in time, or did he get help because his programming
experience wasn't high enough for yet another Sonic game?

Naka was the lead programmer, and the Project Lead. He did not do all the programming as there were several other talented programmers that worked on the game. But Naka was as good as they get, and nobody was brought in to help him because he wasn't up to it. Naka was excellent.
Journalisée

« Répondre #3 le: Septembre 21, 2005, 07:50:45 am »
  • Chaos Control Ruler
  • Hors ligne Hors ligne
Juste pour remettre un peu les choses au clair à propos de l'implication de M.Jackson dans Sonic 3 :

Citation de: "Guess_Who"
Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, the Knuckles theme (S3), the S3 miniboss theme, and the credits for S3 were all done by MJ and remained in S3. Jackson wasn't credited for it, however he was going to go after Sega for it, hence the change in all of those songs for either S3K/S&K Collection.
Journalisée

Pages: [1]